Re: Preventing ConsoleKit from interrupting audio when switching consoles.

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, William F. Acker WB2FLW +1 303 722 7209 wrote:

Hi all,

I use speech output for reading the screen. Currently, I'm using espeak compiled to use portaudio. Whenever I switch consoles, I have to wait a few seconds for audio output to resume. I understand that ConsoleKit is responsible for the delay while it figures out if I'm the same user and should be allowed to use the audio device.

If anyone knows how to disable this behavior, or knows fore sure that ConsoleKit can't be configured to accomplish this, I'd really like to hear about it. With respect, what I don't need to hear about is how desirable folks think the current behavior is and how I should learn to love it too.

    Pulseaudio won't help either, until it can be made to run system-wide.

         TIA.

--
         Bill in Denver

For anyone who runs into this in the future, I found a clumsy workaround. After logging into all the consoles and the GUI, one can just do: killall console-kit-daemon. Something restarts it, but without the ugly behavior. If a console is accidentally logged out of and then logged back in, it's just necessary to re-kill the troublesome daemon.

          Hope this helps someone.

--
          Bill in Denver