Re: CF and Swap

Joerg Bergmann wrote:
Most of the CF with 8GB are more expense compared to the cheapest
8GB SSD device (IDE, 8GB, MLC, here in Germany 35 Euros). And CF
are MLC, at least all the cheap ones! I personally would prefer
SLC devices, they last substantially longer compared to MLC devices.
I have a phenom II PC with a 64GB SLC disk, 32GB Win XP, 32GB
fedora 11 partitions alltogether, no swap (4GB RAM, x86_32). At my opinion, there is no need for swap on machines with several GB RAM.

At the very least you want swap so you can suspend to disk. The swap need not be as large as all memory, cache and buffers will go to disk as part of the suspend IIRC.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>