Re: CF and Swap

(I am using daily digests since this is a high-volume  list)

Thanks for your responses.

Yes the idea is to install a SATA to CF converter as a cheap SSD, possibly
i'll opt for SSD, but this is just an interesting route I wanted to take. Boot
speed I dont care about a lot, and I thought it would be interesting to turn
the MacBook Air into a small embedded device. Its minimal enough for my needs
as it is.

On the issue of how big the disk should be. I use some eye-candy (svg-icons),
and stick to gcc/Python and vi. No Java, no IDEs.  Occasionally I use inkscape and
Gimp.

Am I correct in assuming that 4GB would be proper for the install of FC10 + dev tools,
and another 4GB as playing space would be enough?

As for the memory mounted swap. Until now, I assumed that the kernel doesnt
function properly without some swap mounted somewhere. So, on a 2GB machine
I thought I could allocate 256MB just to keep the kernel satisfied. Did this change in
recent years? If not, it should serve as a development machine, I will sacrifice memory
for stability here.

Which begs another question: if I install a life CD to HD, is that an installation
of a Life CD (with some of memory mapped disks), or an installation of FC proper
with a normal layout. Otherwise I'll try the route of going with a CF (cheap SSD)
and just run an install of Fedora Life on it. Is this an option?

Thanks again.