Re: Installing Windows afterFedora

Ed Greshko wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
I have managed to go for just under a decade without a Windows
machine, but now I need to have such, and I'd like to add it to an
existing machine with a large enough partition which was used as work
area for a project since shipped. The problem is that while I've put
Fedora (and Linux back to SLS and Slackware on 2.2 kernels) on Windows
machines, I haven't done it with anything else after, Linux has always
been "the last OS you'll ever need" for dual boot.

I'm not worried about the grub.conf, but the boot sector could be an
issue, I have seen reports that XP with patches and Win7 check the
boot sector now (XP at patch level 3). other than having to rewrite
the boot sector, is that going to be an issue? Any other things I
should know?

Different people have different reasons for needing a Windows machine. They also have different requirements. I also need a Windows machine
from time to time.  But, I find dual boot an unnecessary evil since my
requirements don't include something like game playing.  So, I've found
running Windows in a virtual machine a better option.  Just wondering if
you've considered that option.

I need to see how some video cards run under Windows, and while I did manage to pass a USB device into a VM (ubuntu) I think I would be better off to just have the OS directly on the bare metal, I suspect getting a PCI card to be ignored by Linux and used in a VM might be a learning curve leading to questions about timing issues.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>