Re: Latest updates are missing a dependency

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 13:30 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:20:43 -0500
> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
> > And, if this batch of updates included critical (security or otherwise)
> > fixes, that wouldn't influence your opinion?
>
> No. My system has already been up for a long time without those
> fixes anyway, but if there is one I'm desperately hot for, I
> can always grab it directly from updates-testing or koji (or
> however it is spelled :-).

Precisely...!

This is the difference in mentality between people who develop as a
primary focus and people who actually have to keep a real data center up
and running via a sane change control / change management process.

Classic argument between two important groups.

In a production DC, a change like the one discussed here would have had
to have been backed out and fixed as a severity 1 issue. Even if it
contained critical fixes. The operations management team would have had
the developers working 24/7 until it was done, and done right. Then,
after everything was fixed, there would be a process review to identify
the failure in the overall process, and changes would have then been
made to both systems and processes to try and prevent something like
this from happening again. Ever.

Cheers,

Chris

--