Re: Latest updates are missing a dependency

Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:51:52 +0200
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
>> Skipping the updates-testing repo and pushing updates directly into the
>> updates repo is frowned upon.
>
> I still can't understand why the repo update process isn't automated
> at least to the extent of testing updates on a virtual machine
> which has all optional packages installed to see if the updates
> install correctly and the system still boots after the updates.

It's known, but implementing this is *hard*, and there are concerns how it
could impact the speed/performance of performing updates.  Pushing updates
as-is already is a multi-hour operation, mind you.

OK, so a broken dep is found somewhere, now what?  Stop the presses,
manually find what is broke, restart updates-push from the beginning?   Not
fun.  Hopefully, this scratches the surface to communicate how this is very
much a non-trivial thing to do.

Now, if you're interested in helping to make this a reality, I can help
facilitate getting in touch with those on the rel-eng side.

-- Rex