Re: location of popup helpers question

On Monday 28 September 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Monday 28 September 2009 17:36:13 Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >You did restart kmail, didn't you?
>> >
>> >Anne
>>
>> No, it has always responded instantly to any changes I made
>>  previously.  This  isn't winderz, where installing a mouse driver take 4
>>  reboots. :)  And a restart or reboot will not change anything now as
>> this has been this way for a couple of weeks.  It was last restarted 4
>> days ago when I installed kernel 2.6.31.1.
>
>Who mentioned rebooting?  I suggested restarting kmail, as many
> applications only read configurations when they start up.  As it happens,
> though, that wasn't the answer, either.  I'll try to find out.
>
>Anne

AFAIK, kmail updates that kmailrc file everytime it does _anything_, even
clicking on the next message button updates it because it contains the
current message numbers.  The incoming mail function updates it similarly.

All this is, to me, is a golden opportunity for any bug anyplace in the
 kmail <->filesystem to eventually eat our respective lunches.  Here, it is a
bit over 131 kilobytes, and to expect a file to get data in the middle of it
overwritten with random lengths of new data, and remain forever properly
formatted and error free seems like tempting fate.

It is now 12:58:30 and when I opened this message:
[root@coyote config]# ls -l kmailrc
-rw------- 1 root root 139265 2009-09-28 12:51 kmailrc

Now:
[root@coyote config]# ls -l kmailrc
-rw------- 1 root root 139265 2009-09-28 12:56 kmailrc

So incoming mail updated it, and that means it is a very high traffic file,
and it has ALL of kmails eggs in it.

IMO the data that needs updated frequently like that, really should be kept
in a separate file.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.