From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Dave Cross
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 7:42 AM
To: Community assistance, encouragement,and advice for using Fedora.
Subject: Re: gnome-terminal question

2009/9/27 bruce <bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> hey...
>
> trying to solve an issue on changing the title of the current
gnome-terminal
> session.
>
> how does one go about changing the title of the current gnome-terminal via
> the cmdline...
>
> i'm trying to figure out if you can use escape sequences, or modifying the
> profile for the terminal.
>
> trying some of the escape sequences from different web sites haven't
> worked...
>
> thoughts/comments/pointers appreciated...

Follow the instructions at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Xterm-Title.html. You
don't say which shell you're using, but using the default bash shell,
you can do this:

$ echo -ne "\033]0;A New Title\007"

You'll probably need to unset the PROMPT_COMMAND value first;

$ export PROMPT_COMMAND=

> i'm running fedora 9

You know that's unsupported, right? I strongly recommend upgrading.

hth,

Dave...