Re: How do you clear a botched kernel on a PPC system?

On 27 Sep 2009 10:05:04 +1000, David Timms wrote,
On 09/26/2009 08:27 PM, Joel Rees wrote:

I find myself in another nice catch 22.
So I'm having a hard time with things today. Can someone put me out of
my misery?
Yeah, mate, take that .22 above and...
Thanks for the sympathy. ;-/

No seriously:
Without having a ppc machine, I imagine that you can hit escape or any key during boot, so that you get the boot loader's option menu, and move the cursor to the previous kernel entry, hit enter...
Yeah, you'd think. Open Firmware doesn't seem to be as tame as BIOS, however. It should allow typing the kernel name in at the boot prompt, but I couldn't get that to go, either. It would take the name of the down-level kernel, but it couldn't find the init. I tried specifying that with "init=", but it wouldn't take the path any way I could think of, without or without the drive spec, etc.

As long as the older working kernel is still installed, it should be enough to yum remove kernel.specific.bad.version, and the rpm should take care of setting the previous versions item as the one to boot.

Let me tell you what I eventually did:

Inserted the netinstall CD and hit the power switch, held down the C key as one does on Macs.

At the Fedora installer's boot prompt,

boot: linux rescue

After setting the language and keyboard and letting it start the network, it asks whether to try to mount the file system read only under /mnt/sysimage, and I took that option.

Once it gave me a shell, I used mount with no parameters to get a look at what was where, then started umount-ing the volumes in order and then mounting them, so that they were mounted read-write. But I wasn't sure what to do with some of the more esoteric volumes.

But it still wouldn't let me run yum under chroot /mnt/sysimage .

Couldn't find the name server for some reason, and /etc was under /, which was still ro, and I really didn't want to umount everything again so I could mount / rw and edit resolv.conf to see if that would point the box back to the name server. (Got to put /etc in it's own partition next time, I guess. Or, if I had had my crystal ball out, I'd have set the network by hand instead of letting DHCP handle it.)

So I gave that up and just mv-ed the offending kernel out of the way and ln-ed the previous kernel, config, initrd, and System.map to the old kernel's name.

It boots up, and yum runs, but I'm worried about the naming games. Unfortunately, when I yum info the kernel, it looks like they haven't fixed the kernel yet after all, so I guess I'll yum remove the bad kernel. After filing a bug on it.

Then I'd better practice using yaboot and, what was it? ybin? (And bash, too. Double checking those long version strings in the middle of file names is not something you want to do under pressure or late at night.)

Thanks for the comments. I'm wondering if I'm the only PPC Fedora user left on the planet.

Joel Rees