Replace Gnome w/ X11 + FVWM2 or fix Gnome

I just force-upgraded from RH7.3 to Fedora 11 (my old hw died + newer
hw doesn't support RH7.3), and am having some issues w/ Gnome, even
after running "gnome-wm --default-wm "fvwm2 --replace". Specifics:

 % "xv -root image" no longer paints an image on the X11 root window.

 % FVWM2's autoraise feature (raise a window when my mouse hovers over
 it for 250ms) no longer works. Autofocus works fine.

 % I can't get rid of the "Bottom Panel" (which is just a regular
 sticky window in FVWM2). I did get rid of the Top Panel.

 % I use my own custom "screensaver", and gnome's screensaver interferes w/ it.

 % I can't get rid of the "Computer", "Home" and "Trash" icons.

 % Other small things make me think I'd prefer "vanilla" FVWM2 to Gnome FVWM2.

 % Gnome seems to run a lot of processes, which vaguely annoys me. I
like clean process tables.