Re: Ksysguard doesn't show cpu or network

On Sunday 27 September 2009 17:12:10 Michael Eager wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 September 2009 05:58:17 Michael Eager wrote:
> >> Hi --
> >>
> >> After a recent update, ksysguard no longer shows CPU
> >> or Network activity.  When I check properties of these
> >> two windows, no sensors are listed.
> >>
> >> I'm running FC10, KDE 4.3.
> >>
> >> How do I add sensors to these displays?
> >
> > I could be wrong, but I don't think they have been added, yet.  There are
> > plasmoids that can be installed on the panel, taking up one icon-space,
> > for each of them.
>
> They were there up to a couple days ago.  I'm not sure what
> was updated, but they are gone now.

I may have been mis-remembering something.

I'm running 4.3.1, and see three activities there - CPU History, Memory and
Swap History and Network History.

> > There are also a couple of superkaramba plasmoids that give incredible
> > amounts of information, but they are so big you probably need a separate
> > desktop for them, and I'm not sure that you can confine them to one
> > desktop without using the activity-per-desktop, which on some systems
> > causes problems but works perfectly on others.  As an experiment I ran
> > the lappy widget and Automatik on a desktop, and the combined display
> > took up 50% of the width.
>
> I've looked at the system monitor plasmoid, but I'm unimpressed.  In the
> panel it's cute but not informative.

The only one I'm using on the panel is that one, I think, which gives cpu
temperature when you hover over it.

> On the desktop, it takes up a lot of space while giving little information.
> There are all the mis-features of plasmoids:  I can't put the monitor on
> one desktop window -- it's on all windows.  I can't iconify it and I can't
> click on bring it in front of other windows.

As I said, you have to set the link of Activities to Desktop.  You may want to
give it a try - you can always switch it off if it gives you any problems.
You zoom out, then look for the cashew (on my system it comes up on the top
left) and Configure Plasma.

> I didn't find the lappy or Automatik widgets.

They are superkaramba widgets.  Lappy is in the default set.  AutomatiK has to
be downloaded.

> Since the kde system monitor seems to be broken, I'm using the Gnome
> system monitor.  It's not as configurable as ksysguard, but it works.

Neither of the superkaramba ones are configurable.  They just give you
everything they can find.  Too much info for my laptop screen, in fact.

Anne