Re: Setup of DNS caching name server for home server

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 23:56 -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> Ok. I'll byte. Where do I start reading? Somebody has to be my
> resolver.  Either I pick it or it's assigned to me by my ISP.

It's not an either/or case, you've ignored an important alternative.

Yes, someone has to resolve.  What you can't resolve yourself, is worked
out upstream.  You can pick what's used for the upstream resolver.
Someone in the middle, like your ISP, resolving all queries for you, or
go straight to the root, and let it pass you to the appropriate server
for the query.

In general, I've found that ISPs DNS servers are crap.  They're
overloaded, poorly maintained, and badly set up.  They offer no
advantage to you if you do queries that haven't already been done by
someone else and results cached.  And they disadvantage you when they
store stale data and give it to you (many /other/ peoples DNS servers do
this, trying to minimise their traffic in a stupid way).

> Either way,m it seemed like a good idea to cache what I collected and
> then to make my machines on the inside of my net take advantage of the
> cache.

That's true.  Running one machine as a resolver, then the rest of your
LAN using that as their resolver can make the world of difference.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.