Re: name server via dhcp, but don't want dhcp assigned addresses

Joel Rees writes:

The WAN side of the router runs dhcp to my ISP, and gets the dns server addresses by dhcp, as well.

Check your router's documentation. The way that 99% of these routers are set up, is that they run a caching nameserver internally, and on the local LAN they give their own IP address as the DNS server's address, via DHCP.

In the past, the ISP had told us to set the primary and secondary dns server addresses statically, so I had the router set to serve dhcp with those address. But I have also set the dns primary and secondary server addresses for all the boxes by hand to the dns servers

Chances are that this is unnecessary. You should've just set your servers to use your router as the DNS server.

So, my problem is that I need to tell each Fedora box to accept the DNS server addresses provided by the DHCP server (the router, actually, which worries me), but not ask for a host IP address for itself, but the GUI dialogs in current Fedora don't provide that as an option.

Why don't you test setting your server as full blown DHCP client, and see what DNS address your router gives you for your DNS server. Chances are that it's your router's IP address. In which case you just need to configure your servers to use a static DNS server on your router's IP address.