Re: CPU burst

Hiisi wrote:
> Dear List!
> I have a desktop running F11. The computer is an old Pentium 4, 3.0
> GHz, 32 bit. It uses logical processors, so I think it's 'an old duo
> processor'.

Not duo, I believe, since they required a Socket 775 processor:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/list.aspx?ProcFam=2112
>           slot: Socket 478

Instead, it looks like you’ve got a Prescott generation Pentium 4 with
hyperthreading.
> What I want to do is to accelerate the processor frequency. I use
> Blender and frequently I'm feeling need for better performance :-(

Do you have two threads enabled when using Blender? A quick Google
suggests it may be worthwhile (although I’d strongly recommend carrying
out your own tests). Run top (or another system monitor program) while
Blender is using all the CPU capacity, and check that you’re using all
the CPU resources.

Worst case scenario: the two threads will tread on each other’s toes
often enough that you’ll get a small performance decrease. Best case
scenario: maybe 20% extra performance.

> As I can see from the output there's 'capacity' field that has higher
> value than the one in 'size' field. Does it means it has a capability
> to utilise that frequency?

Possibly. This is known as overclocking. But Intel only guaranteed that
it would work at 3 GHz. Overclocking may result in your computer
malfunctioning (either slightly, resulting in errors in calculations, or
seriously, leading to crashes and possibly damaging your hardware).

Don’t do it if you can't afford to replace the computer. (And if you
can, a low-end quad-core is cheap!)

If you want to go ahead, then you normally increase the motherboard
speed in the BIOS – if your BIOS enables such things.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | “Right lads, we’ve got 45 minutes to score 37 goals.
aprilcottage.co.uk | No problem with that -- the other team just did.”