Re: Network Printing

On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 15:36 -0400, Jim wrote:
> On Network printing, I have two computers and router.
> In network printing does each computer have to have Drivers for the
> Printer ?

How you do it will answer that question.

Typically, using a Linux box as a print server means that the server
will drive the printer that's directly connected to it, using drivers
for that particular printer, and all the remote machines will send
common PostScript data to the server to print.

It's also possible for each computer to pre-render data for a specific
printer, using a local driver, and for the server to have a raw queue
that accepts pre-rendered data for its printer.  Though this tends to be
messier, as each computer needs configuring for the printer, and you'd
avoid doing this unless it was the only way to access the remote server
(which can be the case if the remote server is Windows, and you can't
figure out doing PostScript over the network).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.