Re: Network Printing

On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 17:03 -0400, Jim wrote:
> On 09/19/2009 04:31 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 15:36 -0400, Jim wrote:
> >
> >> On Network printing, I have two computers and router.
> >> In network printing does each computer have to have Drivers for the
> >> Printer ?
> >>

> > No, only one that acts as the print server for the other.
> > --
> > All constants are variables.
> > Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> I have a XP and a Linux FC11 computers, and if the printer I get is new
> and no print drivers are out for Linux , then you say the windows
> computer will act as a
> print server ?
> In that case how do I setup XP as the print server ?
>
> Thanks for your responds.

I admit I assumed we were talking about all Linux machines. If you want
to do cups printing using ipp protocol to work from a XP machine you
need to run IIS (Internet Information Services) on the XP machine. Then
that machine will use ipp (cups protocol)) for handling printers.
Sharing the Windows printers will allow the XP machine to be a print
server just as a Linux machine would using the Windows drivers.
I have too admit I have never tried this (IIS does not run by default
when your install XP) but that is what the documentation says.