Re: cannot boot to login screen - part way there

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 22:25 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I've been trying to set up dual monitors using a second graphbics card, a
> project which has so far been unsuccessful. Anyway, the system hardware is
> back in its old configuration (without the second card) and the
> dual-booted Windows XP comes up without problems. So the hardware is
> probably OK.
>
> The problem is I can't complete the boot of Fedora 11. I get to the grub
> screen normally and then through the part of the process that brings
> up the services. After I see the last "OK" on a familiar list the monitor
> starts flashing and the boot hangs. I don't get the login screen.
>
> I assume this is because I've screwed up the settings for the graphics
> card and /or monitor.

Since it appeared the boot process was complete except for starting X I
tried doing ssh from another box and was able to log on and start
system-config-display. As I couldn't remember exactly what the video
"card" was -- it's some onboard thing on the motherboard -- I tried each
of the two video card options that seemed familiar: nv (the nvidia
options) and intel (Intel integrated graphics chipsets.) The "nv" option
didn't work -- the boot hung as before. But with "intel" I was able to
get the login screen and my desktop.

The problem is that now my highest resolution is 1024 X 768 and I'd like
to have the my old higher resolutions (like 1280 X 1024) back. How do I
do this?

Jerry