Re: simple way to build rpm?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<...snip...>
> The HP inkjet drivers (HPLIP) is one example of a "fire and forget"
> installer that just detects "where am I? what platform is this? what
> compilers do I have available? is the build environment safe? are the
> additional required packages available? (if not it fetches those)",
> etc.
>
> But that is NOT the norm on Linux. Somehow people write long 20-step
> FAQs and tell the user "here it is, use this FAQ" and the FAQ includes
> a lot of statements that should be copied and pasted on a shell prompt
> (terminal).
>
> So, why not write a damn shell script instead of pasting 10 separate
> lines and subject the user to copy-and-paste hell?.
_____

If it only were that easy.
The problem is that many FAQs omit secondary steps.
Also there may be secondary requirements such an environment variable.
Who hasn't  run into the typical "package cannot be installed because
dependency so
and so is missing" problem? Linux desktops and servers have their individual
fingerprint just as every human hand has their own fingerprints.

~af

~af