Re: java development questions

On 09/16/2009 02:14 PM, jack craig wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am using a FC11 os and want to learn Java.
>
> I am faced with choices that i don't have good answers for and wonder
> what wisdom this group may have to offer?
>
> first, IDE's; there are eclipse and IcedTea6 (which doenst have much
> doc), are there others i am missing?
>
> anyone got pros/cons for eclipse or icedtea?
>
> also, there is the sun jdk, but this os seems to have openjdk also,
> anyone comment on this choice?
> openjdk also seems shy of install/config docs, ... ???  may both be
> installed & usable at once?
> (not at the same time of course).
>
> all comments welcome, tia, jackc...

I have used Eclipse and Netbeans for quite some time.
I don't know much about 'IcedTea6'.

My experience with Eclipse has been pretty good although
there are problems and you can get around these problems
if you know what to do.  For example, when downloading and
installing plugins or modules, not 'everything' is installable.
You have to know what it is that you need, where to get it,
and from a URI's that may not be present in your Eclipse
software list.

Takes some getting used to and sometimes there are nuances
such as the older Eclipse versions did not have smooth handling
of downloads without hanging due to disconnects and had to
be manually restarted.  They have improved on this problem with
Galileo.  Eclipse's Ganymede does not run on F11 because XULRunner
API has changed however, Fedora's Ganymede works on F11 only
because a patch has been applied to work with the new XULRunner APIs.

As for Netbeans, it is different from Eclipse in organization
and in operation.  But I do like it.  Both Eclipse and Netbeans
takes some getting used to and has somewhat a steep learning
curve depending on what you want to do.

There are plenty of tutorials and examples for both.

AS for CVS, other than setting up a repository, which can
be tough, it works very well on both IDEs.

Of the SVN problems, I found that the major problems
I was faced with is the the different flavours of SVN
clients and it varies, can cause confusion and the methods
of installing it, whether it is via Maven, via Tigris.org, or provided
eclipse.  I find that the Eclipse subclipse does not work
for me.

For example, to use the tigris site, one should NOT install
eclipse's svn clients at all including SVNKit, anything that
"smells" of subclipse, instead to download entirely from
tigris.org and of the right version.

The other problem is, make sure you choose the right
version of svn that your repository is using, be it v1.4x
or v1.6x. Make sure that subversion itself is properly
installed, Once you get your ducks lined up properly,
it works.  It is not easy at first, but once you have it,
you're ready to go.

What if you have both versions of repositories such
as a local repository of v1.4x and a remote repository
of v1.6x, what to do?  I have not encountered this
myself, and I would wonder how one gets around this
problem as you cannot have both subclipse versions in
the same Eclipse code base.  It is quite possible to have
Eclipse installed in one physical area containing the v1.4x
subclipse and yet have another Eclipse (same version)
installed in another physical area containing v1.6x, and it
seems like a painful way to go about it, but at least it could
work. I have not tried this myself.

The problems of subversion exist for both IDEs
as it takes getting used to each IDE's svn clients as
they are different in organization and use.

And like any tool, each has their strengths and weaknesses
and I use one, the other, or both, depending on what I
am doing.

FWIW,
Dan