Re: Yumex: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: fedora

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:45 AM, suvayu ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jwalant,
>
> Could you please stick to the posting guidelines for the list? Top
> posting makes reading and replying in context rather cumbersome. Now
> about the issue at hand ...
>
> 2009/9/15 Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji <jwalant.soneji@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi Suvayu,

>>> Or you could have just looked here, :-p
>>> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/
>>>
>> Thanks!
>> Please confirm that replacing the base URL with the nearest server address
>> no negative consequences.
>>

> If you comment out the mirrorlist line and replace the baseurl line
> with a mirror of your choice there shouldn't be any problems.
>
> However you do limit receiving updates for your system by becoming
> dependent on one particular mirror. If that mirror goes down for some
> reason, you would need to edit the line again to be able to update
> your system. In your case however this doesn't make much of a
> difference because afaik the IITK mirror is the only mirror anywhere
> near India.

The above information is not correct. Yum allows use of multiple
repos.  Here's a snippet from "man yum.conf":

       baseurl
              Must be a URL to the directory where the yum repository’s ‘repo-
              data’ directory lives. Can be an http://, ftp:// or file:// URL.
              You can specify multiple URLs in one baseurl statement. The best
              way to do this is like this:
              [repositoryid]
              name=Some name for this repository
              baseurl=url://server1/path/to/repository/
                      url://server2/path/to/repository/
                      url://server3/path/to/repository/

              If you list more than one baseurl= statement in a repository you
              will find yum will ignore the  earlier  ones  and  probably  act
              bizarrely. Don’t do this, you’ve been warned.

              You  can  use  HTTP basic auth by prepending "user:password@" to
              the  server  name   in   the   baseurl   line.    For   example:
              "baseurl=http://user:passwd@xxxxxxxxxxx/";.

EXAMPLE:

$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
[updates]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates
failovermethod=priority
baseurl=http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
	http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
#mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch