Re: Battery - Control Screen brightness

On 09/13/2009 11:36 AM, Mail Lists wrote:

>   Gnome - F11. When I unplug and go on battery - the screen dims. The
> power applet for non-battery has a slider for screen brightness. The
> battery tab only has a button to click to dim screen - i have that set
> to no.

I see 2 check boxes:

	Reduce backlight brightness
	Dim display when idle

I have both of them set.
I also have the slider set to 20 minutes
	(Put display to sleep when inactive for)

Also, my laptop has a couple of Fn buttons to control screen brightness.
I looked at the ASUS scripts that came with my system, and none of them
seem to control screen brightness, so I assume that they control the
screen brightness directly?

>   Yet - when I go on power the screen dims. Is there a slider somewhere
> to set screen brightness when on battery ? If not - is there a gnome
> registery setting ?

I too notice that the minute I go on battery, the whole screen dims.

>    The hardware laptop brightness has no further effect - pressing it
> shows the brightness to full - clearly it is not. As soon as I plug
> power back in the screen gets brighter.

I see slightly different behaviour.  When I unplug from power, the
screen dims.  I then use the buttons to return the screen brightness to
where I want it.  Then (some time later) while using the touchpad (mouse
and clicks) the screen all of a sudden dims again, even more.  If I then
use the buttons to return it to where I want, just a short time after
that the screen dims *again*.  Makes me wonder what "idle" is looking at
for activity, since power management has been overridden manually, yet
insists on asserting itself again, and again, and again, ....

>   Thanks for help.

Sorry, not helping, just commiserating....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx