Re: 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE Won't Boot to L5

homburg@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Very strange. I can boot to L3 but get a HARD lock-up to
level 5 prior to the authentication screen. The old kernel
continues to function perfectly.

Sep  9 20:20:52 dch kdm[1875]: X server startup timeout, terminating
Sep  9 20:21:22 dch kdm[1875]: X server termination timeout, killing
Sep  9 20:21:22 dch kdm[1875]: X server for display :0
cannot be started, session disabled

I have additional information on what's happening for my system, which may be a clue for yours. If you post the bug # you created I'll add my info to it.

I have a utility system with Intel E5200, 4GB RAM, and using the on board video "Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller" for display, and PAE kernels. When booting the 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE kernel in run level 5, the system appears not to boot. Booting in r/l 3 and then doing "telinit 5" gives no display, but the system is up, and X is using the inteldrmfb for display. I can ssh into the system just fine, and that might be the case for r/l 5 boot as well, only the display is hosed.

I then edited the boot line to replace "rhgb quiet"
with "vga=0x318 video=vesafb" which should force using the slower but possibly functional vesa driver. Unfortunately the vesafb is fb0, but works no better. So the recent PAE kernel is essentially worthless for my use.

In addition to a stack trace I get a selinux alert preventing ck-get-x11-serv from running. I'm about to try crafting a policy to address that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>