Re: Added hard drives; how to configure raid?

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Roberto Ragusa<mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
>
>> I guess that's overkill for my simple needs.  This is just going to be
>> a big /home drive.  Thanks again for the help!
>
> You know that a RAID1 is not a backup solution, right?
> Your data will be better protected by running only one drive and
> using the second as a backup (external disk, for example).
>
> Sorry if I sound like one giving lessons around, but hearing
> you are going to have a 1.5TB home directory full of stuff
> pushes me to give you a warning now and not when the wrong
> rm command will have killed all your files.

Heh, understood, thanks for the advice.  I have an external USB drive
and use BackupPC to do backups to it.  I also am going to be using an
online storage service.  I went with the RAID just for a little more
peace of mind and hopefully a bit better performance.

--
Reid