Re: SELinux Exim Problem

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 06:38 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> Probably some api that exim is calling is looking at the mounted file
> systems which is causing it to look at /boot.
>
> I think we can allow this for now.

Okay, I've done some investigating of this and can see what is happening
now.

Exim has 4 config options which check for disk space or inodes when a
message arrives. These are unset by default, but I had set one of them
('check_spool_space').

Exim checks the space/inodes by calling statvfs, which in turn looks
at /proc/mounts for mounted partitions. It then checks the mounted
partitions.

In my case I have 3 other partitions, and was receiving the same selinux
errors for those. I reset their selinux context to that of /usr (since
there is nothing of particular importance in those partitions). This
stopped selinux reporting about those partitions.

However, I still get errors about /boot, and obviously cannot reset its
context. I removed the exim config option (mentioned above), but it
seems that exim will also check on available space if a sending mail
server sends a message and uses the SIZE option to the SMTP MAIL
command. (I tested this and it is correct.) There is no way to disable
this.

So, the problem comes down to exim checking disk space/inodes to ensure
it can accept a message, and this is perfectly reasonable. To do this
the system checks the currently mounted partitions. However, and I don't
know why, selinux objects when exim checks the /boot partition. I
suspect an selinux boolean may be required to allow exim to look
at /boot.

(When I installed F11 I used ext4 for the root partition, so I had to
create a separate /boot partition using ext3.)

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001