Re: Suddenly I can't play audio CDs in F11.

On 07/28/2009 07:37 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 20:25 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 27 July 2009 16:09:25 Erik P. Olsen wrote:
I don't use Rythmbox, so I didn't try it. I am not even sure how to
play a CD using it.
I tried some of those applications. grip played the CD but no sound was
heard.
Audio Extractor produced sound for a while then the sound disappeared
although he playing continued.

Rhythembox would not play the CD.

So all is still not well.
Same here, gxine would play the CD but no sound (due to the pulseaudio -
alsa problem)
I don't use gnome, so this may be of no use at all, but assuming that what I
do in kde must have an equivalence in gnome, here are my comments.

Some applications use xine-backend and some use gstreamer-backend.  See if you
can find the configuration tool to switch them, then experiment.  Similarly,
when I look at the multimedia page in systemsettings I see a list of possible
outputs for each type of input.  Experiment with those, if you can find them.
I found it well worth moving some around, making sure that either PA or an
output seen to work (test button) is at the top of the list.

Vague, but HTH

Anne
Let us be clear. The complaints about CDs not playing were in gnome but:
audio CDs do not play in KDE either on the same machines and:
All was well until the July updates. It is the updates that broke the
system. In order to get yuutube, hulu, etc to work I had to remove
alsa-pulseaudio rpm, which had been updates in early July. But this did
not cure the audio CD problem.
Here I am in the POSTERIOR OLFACTORY LOBULE but I don't see CARL SAGAN
anywhere!!

I am having the same problem with my 32 and 64 bit machines. I have not found a followup
to this thread. Has anyone found a fix for it yet?

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt@xxxxxxxxx

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia

"The Malice of the wicked is reinforced by the weakness of the virtuous." - Churchill