Re: How do you keep your online address-book?

On Sunday 06 September 2009 16:27:00 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> What are the advantages/disadvantages of 389-directory-service,
> as compared with OpenLDAP?

Up until a few months ago, I had been using OpenLDAP successfully for several
years with replication via syncrepl working perfectly between a master and two
off-site slaves.  Then, I ran into an issue where OpenLDAP would use up all of
the available file descriptors and lock up the system.  I had been researching
389 DS over the past few years anyway and wanted to try it out -- so I did.

Both OpenLDAP and 389 DS are capable and will be able to achieve what you want
without problems.

> > eGroupWare via any computer that has access to the host
>
> I looked up eGroupWare, but was surprised there is no official
> Fedora package.
> (My only fear with this is that an application not supported by Fedora
> might become incompatible with some later distribution.)

eGroupWare is a php-based CMS and doesn't really need packages.  I'm sure
there are other CMS systems that would do just as well, but eGroupWare does
allow you to have your accounts AND addressbook data in LDAP.  It also gives
you SyncML, which enables you to sync calendars, addressbooks, etc. to things
like BlackBerry, other phones.

I had created my own LDAP addressbook web frontend a few years ago and found
that eGroupWare more than made up for its shortcomings. (I'm not trying to
advertise eGW -- it's a little heavy in my opinion --but it works
fantastically well with LDAP -- if there are alternatives, I'd like to hear
about them too.)

I use eGroupWare via subversion:
http://www.egroupware.org/wiki?wikipage=subversion

If you do decide to use eGW and you need SyncML, go with "trunk" instead of
1.6 as the SyncML features are part of the main development and 1.6 only gets
security backports (1.6 didn't work with my BlackBerry).

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E