Re: bad PNGs, thunderbird and firefox

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 21:39:14 -0400
brian <fedora@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/21/2009 10:52 PM, brian wrote:
> > On 08/21/2009 09:16 AM, brian wrote:
> >> thunderbird-3.0-2.6.b3.fc11.i586
> >> firefox-3.5.2-2.fc11.i586
> >>
> >> Suddenly, most of the icons in thunderbird and *some* images in ff
> >> are pretty messed up. They appear to be indexed to just 3 colours.
> >> Sometimes, it's predominantly neon green, other times purple or
> >> black. In TB, it's the ones that are highlighted, except for
> >> folders, which look fine. Any icon that's greyed out also appears
> >> normal. Also, the icons in the "write" window i'm typing now in
> >> are ok.
>

> Anyone? Is anbody seeing anything like this? I can't think of what to
> look for as *most* images look just fine. So, I can't imagine it's a
> problem with X.

I'm not seeing this in FF, don't use TB (F11 x86_64).  It is probably
some obscure interaction between your hardware, its drivers,  and those
applications. i.e. a bug

Are the distortions consistent?  i.e. do the same icons and images
always have the same distortion?

What if you save an image that is distorted and open it with an image
viewer?  Still distorted?

Do you have any strange configuration options set?  Effects plugins
installed?

What if you start firefox in safe mode?
firefox -safe-mode
(bad option design!).