Re: start location for windows

2009/9/3 Bob Marcan <bob.marcan@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 18:09:32 +0100
> Ron Yorston <rmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Steven Stern wrote:
>> >When I start a new program in Gnome, it positions the new window at the
>> >top left of the screen. Is there a way to tell it to use some other
>> >location (e.g., center)?
>>
>> The Gnome window manager, metacity, positions windows automatically and
>> offers no control.  I maintain a patch to metacity that allows windows
>> to be positioned manually:
>>
>>    http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/metacity/index.html
>>
>> RPMs for Fedora and RHEL are available there.
>>
>> Ron
>>

> Where are the times when we can specify the X11 -geometry ;-(
> Linux, great operating system with the more and more windoze like gui
> crap.

If you are using Compiz to give shinyness and you have Compiz Config
Settings Manager installed (yum install ccsm), you may be able to go
to System -> Preferences -> Look and Feel -> CompizConfig Settings
Manager. Once you are in, investigate the "Place Windows" plugin,
which may do a limited amount of what you want.

--
Sam