F11, OpenLDAP: can append to files, but not write, acl not a mount option

I've installed a new F11 server, w/OpenLDAP.  Users access an lvm/ext4 volume via netatalk & samba.  Selinux is permissive.

Some users were getting "sharing violation" or "disk full" for afp and smb respectively on some existing files, though 2.2TB are free and new files were fine.

I found that when opening a shell as these users (#su - username), they indeed could NOT edit the files, at least with vim.  What they could do was "append" to the files via "# echo 1 >>badfile.html ".  Then after appending, vim would write to that file just fine and netatalk & samba were now happy with that file too.

I've run lsattr, I've run setfacl to list permissions, I've updated the kernel, I've rebooted, I've run fsck, I've checked "mount" for acl, I've checked syslog . . . I'm stumped.

I thought that if you couldn't write, you couldn't append either?  Any ideas?

~]# rpm -q openldap-servers kernel pam
openldap-servers-2.4.17-2.fc11.x86_64
kernel-2.6.30.5-43.fc11.x86_64
pam-1.0.91-6.fc11.x86_64