Re: no medium xterm font

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:43:30 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The issue for me is height and width, not beauty.
> For an xterm or other console, I normally want fixed-width.

There are lots of fixed width fonts available as packages.

> According to xwininfo,
> with the normal font there is room for 6x13 pixel characters,
> with the medium font, 8x13 pixel characters.
> I would expect 3 interline pixel rows and character sizes 6x10 and
> 8x10, but /usr/share/X11/app-defaults/XTerm contains:

snipped examples of font variations

> No two fonts have the same height.
> Until I understand what's going on, I really don't dare tinker.

Why not?  I don't understand what harm this does.  Are you restricted
for space?  I installed all the available font packages on my system, and
ran through them trying each one until I found a combination of font,
characteristics (bold, regular, italic) and size that I liked.  Then I
made that the default.  I did this for the terminals under X, and gvim.
As I recall, there were many fixed width fonts.

> What's going on?

I expect that because there aren't the restriction of the console, the
fonts for the terminal are a little more freeform.