Sunday morning Question re: Desk Top ??

Hi;

I have been following the thread "Can we have different desktop
backgrounds for different workspaces?" with interest.

I have started a new thread because I have a question or topic that is
related but a bit different.

I am using Gnome for my desktop.

For the last 2 or 3 years I have been looking for a way to setup my
desktop so that I could have different backgrounds/wallpaper and
launchers in different work spaces.  Particularly I would like one set
of wallpaper and launchers on what I might designate as my "play' area
and a different setup for a "work" workspace.

For example:

A "play" workspace would consist of something like a background with
favourite photograph(s) and launchers for tv, radio, volume, other media
and a 'home' icon that had a path to my personal files.  I expect the
'play' area somewhat filled with a messy variety of launchers.

A "work" workspace would be sparse, clean, with a solid colour
background for easy reading.  When I work I want a choice of just a few
launchers which I use regularly placed exactly where I know how to find
them with either the mouse or keyboard.  And, a Home icon that I could
setup with a path that leads to my directory(s) where I keep various
work projects.

I would like to be able to move back and forth between "play" and "work"
workspaces using the workspace switcher.

Other people might have other choices.  They might want a 'home'
workspace as well as a 'photography' workspace, or, a 'business'
workspace, or a 'writer's' workspace, or a 'programming' workspace.

I have tried opening a second 'work' user, but then common functions
like email, internet browsing and jotters are not available to both
users.  I would like to maintain the easy, single user, inter-workspace
communication.  It is really just the launchers and background that I
want to change.  It would be no different than running programs as a
single user.  Sleeping and running processes would remain the same.  I
would keep the panels (particularly 'Window List' app).

For those of you who are familiar with Gnome;

How difficult would it be to build an addon or plugin for the workspace
app so that when I changed workspaces  a different desktop i.e.
~/Desktop2, and ~/Wallpaper2, would open and replace Desktop1 and
Wallpaper1?

I have looked over the Gnome Developers site.

I am not looking for any instructions at this point, but any major
gotcha's or considerations to think about before I even begin a project
of that size would be helpful.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3