Re: In the news: Soon to be published, Skype back-door trojan code?

On 08/29/2009 02:09 PM, Joel Gomberg wrote:
On 08/29/2009 12:56 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:30:53 -0700,
   "Daniel B. Thurman"<dant@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

[perhaps off topic, but interesting security implications?]

Yeah, don't let LE install trojan software on machines you use.

I wonder if backdoors are installed to comply with
government&  law enforcement requirements.  In the US,

The Skype backdoors that have been covered in public (recently and in the
past) that I have seen have all been additional software installed by LE
on the victum's machine, not something specifically built into Sykpe. Since
calls are dispatched through central servers and Skype is a US company,
presumably call record information is being captured by the US, en masse. Some
other governments probably also get easy access to this data.

What do you mean when you say that "calls are dispatched through central servers?" I thought Skype was P2P application:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/help/guides/p2pexplained/

They say they use a global index with a decentralized user directory, but I have no idea what this means in practice. When you talk about call record information being captured, do you mean summary records or recordings? I would find it much easier to believe the former than the latter.

I would presume that once a call record is given,
it leads to the source of everything else when
requested by the authorities or anyone else
with a judge's authorization?  The sticking point
in this arrangement, I think, allows the authorities
to "peek" legally, and if enough [criminal] information
is obtained from this call record, to pursue further
information a with FISA, court order, or "by some other
classified [spook?] means"?