Re: In the news: Soon to be published, Skype back-door trojan code?

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:30:53 -0700,
  "Daniel B. Thurman" <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [perhaps off topic, but interesting security implications?]

Yeah, don't let LE install trojan software on machines you use.

> I wonder if backdoors are installed to comply with
> government & law enforcement requirements.  In the US,

The Skype backdoors that have been covered in public (recently and in the
past) that I have seen have all been additional software installed by LE
on the victum's machine, not something specifically built into Sykpe. Since
calls are dispatched through central servers and Skype is a US company,
presumably call record information is being captured by the US, en masse. Some
other governments probably also get easy access to this data.

> Fact or hype?

Probably both. The existance of trojans has come up before, this guy just
seems to be hyping his claim that he wrote one of them.