Re: Multiple IP addresses without aliasing?

Ryan Lynch wrote:
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 17:36, Sam Varshavchik<mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ryan Lynch writes:

Do the Fedora network init scripts support additional secondary IP
addresses without the use of alias labels?  Does an option for IPv4
addresses exist that works like IPV6ADDR_SECONDARIES?

I just skimmed /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt, but I
didn't see anything to that effect, so I'm guessing the answer is no,
and I have to use aliases and 'ifcfg-eth?:0' files.
Yes, at least for IPv4. There is absolutely no support from the GUI, but you
can manually install /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX:Y. For
example, I have an ifcfg-eth1 and an ifcfg-eth1:1, with a second IP address.
Just copy ifcfg-ethX to ifcfg-ethX:1, and stick in an additional IP address.

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid--I don't want Fedora to add
the 'eth0:0', 'eth0:1', etc. labels.  I'm wondering if the init
scripts support multiple addresses WITHOUT aliases.

I've never been able to find a solution to that that didn't require running another script. /etc/rc.local is a kind of "catch all". There are also /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post and ifdown-post.

Using iproute2 certainly gives good control.

  ip address add 10.20.30.40/8 dev eth0
  ip address add 10.20.30.41/16 dev eth0
  ip address add 10.20.30.42/24 dev eth0
  ip address add 10.20.30.43/32 dev eth0
  ip address add 192.168.1.1/24 dev eth0

is an example of how to add addresses to an interface.

You may also use the same command to setup routes for your new found diversity of addresses :)