Re: packagekit broke rhythmbox

stan wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:48:17 -0700
Mike Wright <mike.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The database is clean, no dupes, it verifies, and I'm stumped.

If you have yum-utils installed, if you haven't already done so,
you can run the command

package-cleanup --problems

If this shows no problems, as seems likely from your comment above, run
yum-complete-transaction

It will look for transactions that didn't finish and try to complete
them.  PackageKit actually uses yum under the covers, so it should find
any from packagekit also.

If that doesn't work, why not try another update?  I don't recommend
"yum clean all" in this case as that will remove all the packages
you've already downloaded at such cost.  Cleaning the metadata ensures
that you get new repo data.

yum clean metadata
yum update

This should work because yum doesn't actually update any packages until
all the packages are downloaded and it has run a transaction test.

Thanks both to Paul and Stan.  You all are going to love this.

I created a file with the contents of the station link:

    http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-toronto.m3u

I opened that as a PlayList in VLC, made my selection and tried to play it. error...restart...error...restart... ad infinitum. But the error wasn't coming from cbcr1-toronto.m3u, it was coming from, gonna love it, http://vorbis.nm.cbc.ca:80/cbcr1-toronto.ogg.

So I changed the extension to .ogg:

    http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-toronto.ogg

and reopened the PlayList in VLC, selected its one item and, ecco me qua donna mia, it began to play.

OK, I'm very mystified at this point so I decide to open Rhythmbox. I opened the previously needy of test/html CBC1 radio station, mind you, without making ANY changes, other than erase it, reinstall it, downgrade it, upgrade it, but it now works.

(They are discussing kilts at this moment. I never knew they had built in underwear that are very comfortable. That sure destroyed a myth :)

There is an obvious break somewhere in the shared configuration files but I have no idea where.

I'm just happy to have me radio playin' :D