Re: Can we have different desktop backgrounds for different workspaces

On Friday 28 August 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Friday 28 August 2009 07:50:02 Anne Wilson wrote:

>> > Ah, yes, but in kde-4.3, we are still stuck with one wallpaper for all
>> > screens.  That sucks about a 10-33 tor vacuum IMO.
>>
>> NO WE ARE NOT!  Please!! I asked for a few hours sleep before searching
>> for what was needed to enable it.  It definitely works on my laptop.
>
>OK - I get testy before breakfast.
>
>I'd forgotten how I did it.  You may remember that I said a long time ago
> that you could do it in Activities, but not in desktops.  Now you combine
> the two.
>
>Use the desktop cashew to zoom out > create an Activity for each desktop
> that you want - IOW 4 desktops = 4 Activities >  Configure each Activity
> with the wallpaper you want.

Not usable Anne. I went to the cashew & did the zoom thing, which proceeded
to overlay the screen completely, covering your msg.  Then things locked up,
clock stopped, mouse froze, no response to a ctl+alt+bkspc and I had to use
the hdwe reset to reboot..  Now the screen background I did have set is gone,
as is the plasma launcher that was occupying the upper left 1/6th of the
screen.  Other stuff seems to run ok if I can find it in the menu's to run
it, but my previous desktop has been quite destroyed.

So how do I restore that transparent program launcher, and my background
picture now so I am at least back to what kde4.1 could do?

> you are back where you started.

Where is this zoom in button, it doesn't exist here, nor does there appear to
be any back out without changing anything facility.

>Now go to each desktop, zoom out, set one Activity to use that desktop,
> zoom in.  Do this for each desktop.  Now you can use your desktops just as
> you always did, but each has settings that are independent of each other.
>
>Takes a few minutes to set up, but from then on it's as easy as it always
> was.

If only there were zoom buttons for both directions, there doesn't appear to
be a zoom in, only out to ever smaller muti-images, all the same pix until it
crashes.  I just repeated it after rebooting, and was trying to locate my
background pix, but the thumbnail viewer would have taken at least 2 hours to
display every pix in the selected directory.  Painfully slow, on a quad core
phenom.  And I had 2 zoom out buttons, and no zoom in button.

I accidentally found just now that rolling the center wheel of the mouse
seems to exit it, but I still have a plain blue screen background on all 8
screens.

This is plainly NOT usable as a means of configuring the desktop.

I found my picture and applied it, but most screens are still overlaid with
the zoom out stuff, how to I exit that other than rebooting again?  I can see
the selected pix on some screens, reduced to 1/4 screen, but there is not a
zoom in button to restore the normal view.  Rebooting certainly doesn't seem
to me to be a valid exit method, this after all, isn't a winderz box. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Manchmal stehe nachts auf und installier's mir einfach...
	-- H0arry @ IRC