Re: change login screen

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 14:11 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> While the intent of preventing root is admirable, in practice it means
> that you have to type in the root password repeatedly when doing
> system configuration, since every tool is going to ask for it.

Windows Vista does that, and it's a complete pain in the arse.

But, as far as Fedora, it used to be that an icon popped up in the
notification area when you had authenticated as root, and it'd stay
there for all the time you remained authenticated (a few minutes).

e.g. Edit users, authenticate once to do that, then the next thing, such
as editing firewall preferences, used the same authentication.  You had
the option, via that icon, to instantly forget the authentication, or
extend it.  Plus, elsewhere, you could configure the timeout period.

I didn't see this functionality in Fedora 11.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.