Re: What to do if frozen ?

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 17:38 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 16:40 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
Hello,

I am a perl-Tk application (Sterra.pl)  with seems does not want to give
me the hand back because of swapping !

If you say absolutely nothing about what your application is for or
where it came from, how do you expect people to help you?
What do you need to know about my application ?

Put it this way: you said "my app is swapping, why is this"? The only
coherent answer is that its virtual memory demand is too high for your
machine (in combination with all the other apps you're running). As to
*why* it's too high, it could be anything from a basic requirement (e.g.
you're inverting huge matrices in the most simplistic way) to a simple
memory leak. That's why it's important to say what the app is doing.
Also, does it show this behaviour all the time, or only after it's been
running for a long time?

The serious problems appear after I updated from fedora 10 i386 to
fedora 11 x86_64.

I do agree that I may have memory leak, and I tried to work to it but I
do not see what else I can do. I am using perl calling CPP calling perl.
I do not know how to have full control on the memory. I do my deallocations as well as I can.
But, as I said I identified similar behavior with firefox. In addition
I also doubled the memory size (compared to i386).
My calculation tells me that I only need ~350 000 Mo (204 * 204 * double) !
for the matrix diagonalization. However, I do not have 100% control under the packages that I am using: PDL and Minuit (in term of memory allocation). If they do not it right, what can I do ?

By the way, when your application takes 67% of the memory and consumes
only 2% of the CPU (and no additional application is using the CPU), it looks like that you would like to do something because their are still 33% of the memory available !

Regards.

I even had the same behavior with firefox !

I have sluggish behaviour with Firefox (it gets bigger and slower over
time), but it's definitely caused by an add-on. I'm in the process of
discovering which one.

poc

--
---