Re: list files but not directory

Steven W. Orr wrote:

> Two things!
>
> 1. Bash syntax:
> This will not work:
> function lsp() { ls $@ && less }
> If you do it in one line then it would have to be
> function lsp() { ls $@ && less; }

Yes - I did forget the ; at the end of the command. Bad morning...

> If you say ls && less then you will only run the less command if the ls
> command succeeds with a 0 exit status. I know this was a typo but I just
> didn't want others to get confused.

I prefer not to have less run id ls exits with an error. That way,
if I run something like lsd *.html on a directory with no .html
files in it, I do not have to type the q to exit less.

> *NEVER* use $@ without using double quotes. It is very bad luck and failure to
> follow this advise will cause you to send 200 copies of stupid jokes to all
> the people you know with aol addresses. And worse, you will end up knowing
> more aol people.

Oops - definitely a good point!

> What's the difference between an alias and a function? Simple: If you need to
> pass arguments then use a function. I mention this because it's another of
> those basic sources of confusion.

I nice explanation.

Mikkel