Re: list files but not directory

On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 15:46 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> > Just remember: "Do one simple thing and do i well." ;-)
> >
> And to carry this one step farther, you can create aliases or
> function to do things you require often. For example, you could use
> something like this:
>
> function lsp() { ls $@ && less }
>
> so that you could run lsd instead of running "ls | less".
>
> Mikkel

Or I could use:

]$ find . -maxdepth 1 -type f ! -name '.*'
or,
]$ find . -maxdepth 1 -type f ! -regex '^.*/\..*'
or,
]$ ls -hl | grep ^-

And I am sure there are a dozen seperate perl solutions out there!

And on and on.  Count the learning curves and side issues involved for
someone who just wants to see some text file that they wrote and saved
and that has seemed to 'disappear'.  That kind of thing happens at the
start all the time.

Let me tell you about unnecessary learning curves.  About 5 years ago,
when I installed Linux for the first time, I tentatively began to
explore the Gnome desktop and menu.  I saw Vi(m) -- a text editor.
Thinking of M$ NotePad, I opened Vim in order to make my first notes to
myself about this new operating system.  I couldn't write a word (I
didn't know about insert mode) and, determined not to solve problems by
just rebooting, it took me 4 -- let me repeat -- four hours to get out
of Vim. (Who would of thunk of escaping to normal mode and inputing a
':' to get to a command line.)

Most new users have already spent a considerable amount of time trying
to do the simplest thing before posting on users help list for the first
time out of fear of looking really really stupid.  Suggesting stuff like
"]$ find . -maxdepth 1 -type f ! -name '.*'" or  "'ls -hl | grep ^-'
just leaves their brains reeling. Particularly when they are in the
midst of trying to figure out how 10 to 20 other things work.

I will now, quietly go away.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3