Re: ebooks and fedora?

On 08/16/2009 11:16 AM, Mike Cloaked wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to download and read ebooks within Fedora
(or Linux in general) ?

I am thinking of for example the WHSmith ebook site (UK) at
http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk

Some of my family are avid readers of books and ebooks might be a good way
to go. However the site implies that you have to install Digital Editions
which appears to be both proprietary and Windows/MAC only.

So the question is - can one still download and read ebooks say of the type
EPUB EBOOK and still read them in a Fedora system?

All of that is likely to depend upon DRM or not DRM, though of course there are various ways to remove DRM, if you're inclined to commit a felony. But the general answer is that, yes, you can read ebooks on Fedora. Check out calibre, which is a general purpose ebook viewer and format converter. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have a Fedora package, but I have managed to install it, though I had to do a bit of work to get it to compile. See this thread:
  http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53094
You might want to check out the other forums there, too.

rh