Re: firefox open containing folder

On Sunday 16 August 2009 11:43 AM, Jud Craft wrote:
On 08/16/2009 11:05 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
On Sunday 16 August 2009 14:38:56 Jud Craft wrote:
On 08/16/2009 09:28 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
There is on may machine, as well as an option Open with other
Application. This is in Gnome.

Well darn. Are you sure? This is mine. Sorry for the attachment.

I don't have a "Open With" tab for folders. On my machine (running
GNOME but with some KDE stuff), Firefox's "Open containing folder" pulls
up Konqueror.

That's from the folder Properties. The context menu is from
right-clicking on
the folder, and yes, under kde it does allow Open With, offering
things like
image-browsers, where you might seriously want it to open at folder
level.

But I have also tried GNOME's context-menu Open With..., and although it
lets me choose between Dolphin/Konqueror/Nautilus, it does NOT change
the default.

Does the KDE context menu change the default?

I don't have Nautilus installed, so I will can only guide you with Dolphin and Konqueror.

Dolphin & Konqueror:
1. Right click and select properties
2. In the general tab, just beside the "Type:" field there is a small settings icon (looks like a wrench), click that. 3. In the new window, in the "General" tab you can select your "Application Preference Order". But afaict this would be a default only for KDE.

Nautilus: (strictly from memory)
There should be a tab other than General, Emblems & Permissions in the properties dialogue. (maybe Notes, not sure though) Go there and afaicr you should be able to pick your preferred app by selecting the appropriate radio button from a list. I believe if you change the settings here, it changes the global defaults and not just for the desktop environment. I might be wrong though.

--
Suvayu