Re: How to check the information is true or false?

On Friday 14 August 2009 12:12:06 Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 16:35 +0800, Clarence Huang wrote:
> > How  do I know that information is true or false?
>
> You have asked a good question.  The same applies here.  You only hope
> we have the right answers.  You need to use common sense.
>
> Do several different websites offer the same advice?  Have you tried our
> own website, first?  http://fedoraproject.org/  There's lots of things
> on there (FAQs, guides, etc.).
>
> When you find advice on websites, are there replies to the advice?  And
> do they confirm or refute the advice?
>
> Does it sound sensible?  Look for advice that explains, rather than just
> a list of things to do.

And if you're still not certain, take the same thing one step further.  Take
what look like the most significant words or commands from the answer you see,
and do a google search on that.  If there's a problem with it you are sure to
find a message somewhere that says 'I did foo and now my computer won't boot'
or some other disaster story.

One other thing - before you click on an entry from the google search, take a
look at the url that it is going to load.  If at all possible, stick with ones
that imply either a distro-created message (whether, for instance, and
official Fedora one or from a Fedora mailing list) or from a reputable Linux
forum.  Avoid anything from individual people's sites unless you have reason
to know that they are probably OK.

It's time-consuming, yes, but if you follow the advice in this thread you
should be fine.

Anne