Re: Problem with mount.nfs4 on latest Fedora 10 updates

Chuck Lever wrote:

On Aug 13, 2009, at 12:50 PM, Howard Wilkinson wrote:

I have just upgraded a couple of servers from FC9 to FC10 and I am seeing a major problem with mount.nfs4. This occurs when autofs calls the mount program. It then runs at 100% CPU and never terminates.

I have VMs that are running similar configuration successfully, so this is something driven by being on bare metal.

Kernel is 2.6.27.29-170.2.78.fc10.i686.PAE
nfs-utils is nfs-utils-1.1.4-8.fc10.i386
autofs is autofs-5.0.3-41.i386

Command running is

/sbin/mount.nfs4 battleaxe:/ /hosts/battleaxe -s -o rw,nosuid,nodev,tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,intr

The autofs mount has worked and the directories under /hosts/battleaxe have been successfully accessed prior to the problem occuring - I suspect this is a remount after and expire has occurred.

Anybody seen this before?
Anybody know what I can do to get round this? [I am on the way to FC11 but will have to live with FC10 for a while (a week or so)]
Any extra information I can acquire to diagnose this?

There is nothing in the log files to indicate anything going wrong, I could turn debug on if I knew what to set and which messages to strip once I do.

You could start with "sudo rpcdebug -m nfs -s mount" and look in /var/log/messages, or you can strace the running mount command.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

If I revert the kernel (and nothing else) to the latest FC9 version then everything goes back to working as it was.

Does anybody recognise these symptoms?

I am going to see if an strace will work, but once the system has failed it is difficult to get other processes to run to completion.

Howard.