Re: How to rescue an encrypted root filesystem?

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 09:39:56 -0700,
  tatters@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'd still like to know how to mount the encrypted filesystem that
> Fedora creates when you select the encrypted filesystem option at
> install time. Even if it's only for my own intellectual curiosity.

You use cryptsetup luksOpen to create a new block device that has access
to the decrypted blocks. And then you mount that device (which will be
in /dev/mapper).

> What encryption method does the default installer use, and what
> procedure is used to mount it at boot time during regular operation?

This information is in the luks header. As long as that is intact you
just need to know one of the passwords. If it has been corrupted you are
most likely hosed.