Re: IRC / VM question

Kevin Kempter wrote:
>Hi all;
>
>I have a scenario where I've installed a Fedora 10 (386) VM via vmware
>on a laptop running Fedora 10 (x86_64).
>
>I fire up the VM, connect the VM to a VPN connection and then connect
>to an IRC server (which is only accessable via the VPN connection).
>

>This works ok, however I'd really like to be able to access the IRC
>channel from my main OS (the linux x86_64 host OS) instead of having
>to switch desktops to the VM every few seconds to see if I have new
>messages in the IRC channels.  However I don't want to connect the
>host OS to the VPN since I have other simultaneous network needs that
>the VPN prevents me from using.
>
>Anyone have any thoughts how I can connect IRC via a sort of
>pass-through from my host OS, thru the Fedora 10 (i386) guest VM and
>then on to the VPN accessible IRC server?

Yes, go back to the old school IRC bouncers ;o) (finally a use for all
those years I spent idling on Undernet!)

The one I used to use back in the day was psybnc
(http://www.psybnc.at/) - you have a permanently connected machine
(shell host) running psybnc which connects to your IRC server. You then
connect to psybnc from your less-permanently-connected machine
(desktop) as if it's an IRC server and it proxies your connection. Some
of the better IRC bouncers maintain logs when you are offline which get
replayed to you when you connect and do other groovy stuff.

They were used back in the day to remain permanently on-channel (and
retain CHANOP permissions) even when you had a flaky dialup connection.

In your case, replace "shell host" with VM+VPN and "desktop" with
"main OS" and you are done.

Googling for "IRC bouncer" gets you to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC_%28software%29 which will then get you
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Clients/Chat/IRC/Bouncers/

I've used psybnc,ezbounce,BNC and ZNC in my time, but there's probably
millions of variations now - I haven't seen any in the Fedora repos,
but someone else might know of one.

--
Sam