IRC / VM question

Hi all;

I have a scenario where I've installed a Fedora 10 (386) VM via vmware on a
laptop running Fedora 10 (x86_64).

I fire up the VM, connect the VM to a VPN connection and then connect to an IRC
server (which is only accessable via the VPN connection).

This works ok, however I'd really like to be able to access the IRC channel
from my main OS (the linux x86_64 host OS) instead of having to switch
desktops to the VM every few seconds to see if I have new messages in the IRC
channels.  However I don't want to connect the host OS to the VPN since I have
other simultaneous network needs that the VPN prevents me from using.

Anyone have any thoughts how I can connect IRC via a sort of pass-through from
my host OS, thru the Fedora 10 (i386) guest VM and then on to the VPN
accessible IRC server?

Thanks in advance