Re: Recovering from a hard X lock up

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 15:10 +0100, James Allsopp wrote:
> I'll try the kill X next time, but last time I did that it
> seemed to corrupt my boot partition and I had to use a rescue disk.

That sounds like there's something seriously screwy with your system if
killing X can screw up a partition that's not even being used (boot is
practically ignored, once you've booted up).

> TBH, my system is getting increasingly unstable (1 hard lock up per
> day). I'm going to try and memtest, see how it gets on with a couple
> of hours unreal tournament in windows to check the hardware, and if
> that doesn't work I'll try upgrading to F11. If that doesn't work, new
> re-install time, but I've not really got the time for that.

Check cooling (stuck fans, blocked fans, heatsinks full of dust,
heatsinks not well attached to hot parts).

Check the power supply (harder to do if you're non-technical), and that
it's adequate for your hardware.  If you've been adding things, you may
have added too much.

You could have flakey hardware, or flakey drivers for specific hardware.
You could leave the computer running in run level 3, doing some hard
work, to try and eliminate the graphics hardware.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.