Re: Recovering from a hard X lock up

David L wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 4:39 AM, Tim wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 10:39 +0100, James Allsopp wrote:
>>> My Fedora 10 machine locks up X completely, but I can still login via
>>> SSH. The monitor still shows the X window, but nothing changes, no
>>> clock, mouse nothing. X processes are still running, but not sure how to
>>> go about shutting them down. Last night, I tried to get the system to
>>> shut down sanely by running shutdown -h now and although the command ran
>>> and I couldn't login via ssh anymore, the machine did not shut down.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how to shutdown and restart X properly. Tried things
>>> like startx( had a x lock file exists error) and init 3, but nothing worked.
>> If X hadn't completely locked up, CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE would have
>> restarted X (that is BACKSPACE, the delete key that deletes to the left,
>> not the DEL key that deletes to the right).
>>
>> If the keyboard was still being listened to, then CTRL+ALT+DEL should
>> have rebooted (perhaps after hammering away at the keys a lot), as a
>> second option instead of CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.
>
> <snip>
> I've seen similar symptoms ... for me, the keyboard is usually
> dead I think, so any recovery procedure would have to be done
> remotely through an ssh session.  I'm not sure if it's a valid way
> to tell for sure, but I usually try the caps lock/num lock to see if
> the little lights toggle to see if the keyboard is dead.  Whenever
> they don't toggle, control-alt-* hasn't worked for me.  Even the
> sys rq REISUB trick did nothing.  I've never tried unplugging
> the USB keyboard and plugging it back in... I wonder if that could
> help recover the keyboard.
>
> Even if control-alt-backspace did work, my understanding was
> that it was disabled by default in f11, but the poster was running
> f10, so that's not his problem.
>
> Regards,
>
>             David

Thank you for all your help; much appreciated. You're correct in
thinking that the keyboard doesn't respond to ctrl-alt-backspace, I've
tried that. I'll try the kill X next time, but last time I did that it
seemed to corrupt my boot partition and I had to use a rescue disk.

TBH, my system is getting increasingly unstable (1 hard lock up per
day). I'm going to try and memtest, see how it gets on with a couple of
hours unreal tournament in windows to check the hardware, and if that
doesn't work I'll try upgrading to F11. If that doesn't work, new
re-install time, but I've not really got the time for that.

On my gentoo system, if things go awry, you can just tell it to rebuild
everything, is there a similar option to reinstall all the core packages
with fedora?

Anyway, thanks for your time with this problem. Much appreciated,
James