Re: What are Microsoft codecs?

gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Frank Murphy wrote:
>
>> On 08/08/09 20:31, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>> Let's hope Totem can fix this, 'cause I'm not very much into finding
>URLs.
>
>> Then file a bugzilla, against totem (gstreamer?), giving the url that
>cause the problem, showing that you can play it in mplayer
>
>I use mplayer, why should I fill a bug for Totem?

Errm, because you tried it and couldn't get it to do what you wanted,
either because you hadn't installed the right bits or the bits don't
exist to do what you want.

Have you considered actually complaining to the broadcaster who is not
providing cross-platform compatible versions of their media?

>Say there are 10 stations providing straight WMV files, how many do you
>figure provide them through the whole paraphernalia of asx, asf, java,
>javascript and silverlight? Closer to 1 or closer to 100?

Err, if there are only 10 stations, I wouldn't expect there to ever be
more than 10 providing them through asx,asf,javascript,silverlight
because, well - I can do maths.

>I would say much closer to 100. So Totem developers know about the
>problem, just as GNOME developers know about the NewFile entering the
>clipboard problem or files not appearing in Nautilus after a move from
>one window to another unless you press F5. Those problems have been
>transferred from one release to another for years, and nobody has fixed
>them.

Do me a favour, stop whining about things you won't fix yourself - it's
not constructive. The only way these things get done is if talented
coders get involved and fix things. I'm not one of those and I'm
betting you aren't either.

People who can't dive into the code and patch the problem, document the
problem in Bugzilla, then we provide more information when necessary.
We don't start creating a fuss about people not solving our problem -
we wait patiently until it's fixed.

We certainly don't throw our toys out of the pram if no-one ever fixes
it.

>Within large organisations, where no name is associated to the product,
>nobody cares about fixing bugs because there's no glory associated to
>it.

Rubbish. I work in a large organisation and we fix things because we
care about what we do, not because there is any glory associated.

>If you have a problem with K3B, write to Sebastian Trüg, even through a
>bugzilla, and you'll see it won't take long before a new version comes
>out. That's why there aren't bugs in K3B.

WHAT THE HECK? What you mean is there aren't any unfixed, reported
bugs. Of course there are bugs in k3b, otherwise people wouldn't have
anything to bugzilla and Sebastian wouldn't have anything to fix. There
will be more bugs discovered, which Sebastian will fix - but those bugs
probably exist undiscovered now - so there are bugs in k3b.

>When I have a name associated to a product, I do fill bug reports.
>Otherwise, I've too often observed that it's no use.
>
>So, why do I write "Let's hope Totem can fix this" ? I say this
>because I believe someone should care about bugs being fixed, and this
>somebody is Red Hat.

You demonstrate a lack of understanding - the media decoding in Totem
is done by GStreamer - that's not a Red Hat project, it's a project of
freedesktop.org (http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/)

Totem itself is not a Red Hat project - it's a project of the Gnome
Foundation: http://projects.gnome.org/totem/

>As for myself, from experience, I consider I have no other power to get
>bugs corrected than by choosing the software that works and ignoring
>the rest. When developers finally come to the conclusion that nobody
>gives a damn about their buggy software, sometimes, they reconsider
>the way they work.

If you just ignored it, I wouldn't care, but you keep talking trash
about things you don't understand how to make work properly.

--
Sam